Friday, September 2, 2011

Sweet, Savory & Slow

Every month around the 20th my Better Homes and Gardens Magazine arrives, it always puts a smile on my face!  This month I saw this recipe and puckered up and thought "YUCK"!!  But then I realized all of the ingredients were family favorites so I thought I would give it a try.  As I move further away from packaged food, I am finding some of the best dishes are where I risk combining flavors I wouldn't usually put together.  You can only "garlic and herb" so many things!  This recipe is tangy, sweet, and savory.  Simmering away while we were out, this dish had our mouths watering as soon as we opened the door.  This meal is a little "fancy" for coming out of a Crock Pot, so pour yourself a glass of wine or kombucha and enjoy!


I've edited it to my own likes...because that's what I do!  This will feed a large hungry family or make a good sized family some leftovers...you will soon find I love leftovers.  They are home cooked meals without the work!  Here it is:


Slow Cooker Chicken with Olives and Dried Plums


3-4 lbs  organic or pastured chicken preferably boneless thighs* 
4 cups of homemade chicken stock (recipe to follow)
2 TBS of italian seasoning
4 garlic cloves pressed or 1 tsp of garlic powder
14 oz jar of pimento stuffed green olives
8-12 oz pack of prunes
1/2 cup of balsamic vinegar (I love the pomegranate infused one!)
1/2 cup of honey


Drain liquid from olives.  Add all ingredients to Slow Cooker.  Turn on high setting for 4 hours or low for 6+ hours.  I like to sometimes start my Slow Cooker on high until it comes to a light boil and then cut it down to low if I need it to stay in there longer or if I forgot to thaw my meat and need to jump start the cooking!  Serve with rice or quinoa. 


*Boneless Breast will work, but will be a little dry.  They don't take well to slow cooking.  There is a lot of sauce, so you can sop that up with the dry meat, but thigh meat would be perfection.  Thighs or legs with skin and bones would be okay too.   You will just have to fish out the bones.


Let me know what you think if you try it.  The next time I make it I will take some photos.


Love and Butter,


Mishelle

No comments:

Post a Comment